The next Classis Chatham Meeting ~ Saturday, February 1, 2020
Grace Christian Reformed Church
(255 Tweedsmuir Ave W, Chatham, Ontario)
CLASSIS CHATHAM HIGHLIGHTS
Tuesday, September 24, 2019 hosted by Ambassador Community Church, Windsor
· Rev. Darrell Edgar welcomed all and led in a time of devotions, reflecting on a portion of Numbers 15, a story of Israel standing on the edge of something new.
· At this meeting we focused and reflected on the core value of Disciples Making New Disciples. Three churches, Mount Brydges-Hope Community, Tillsonburg, and Woodstock-Maranatha shared the joys and struggles on this value. Following each report another church, Wyoming, London-Bethel and London-Good News offered prayers for the church that just reported.
· All 28 churches of classis were present, 64 delegates were in attendance, including 7 first-time delegates. All first time delegates signed the Covenant for Office Bearers.
· Classis was declared constituted and Rev. Dave Van Berkel of Sarnia-First and Rev. Mark Verbruggen of Sarnia-Living Hope were seated as Chair and Vice-Chair respectively. Mr. Ron Middel was seated as the Clerk.
· Delegates and guests were encouraged by a number of Church Counselor, Church Visitor and a number of other reports and presentations throughout the day.
· Attendees to the Canadian National Gathering led and assisted the delegates through a number of practical exercises to encourage and support each other in reaching our communities.
· Emeritus Status was granted for Commissioned Pastor Kelly Sibthorpe of London-Good News. Kelly retains the ability to perform official acts of ministry, including preaching the Word and the administration of the sacraments within classis, and the ability to perform marriage ceremonies in the CRC.
· Classis approved the new Vision Statement “To catalyze and encourage a movement of CRC churches that proactively advance the great commission in Southwestern Ontario.” Four pastors are now asked to develop a ministry plan for our classis.
· Classis received an update of the activities of our Church Plant Team and the results on a demographic study conducted this summer. As a result, the Team’s attention is drawn to Windsor. They ask for prayers as they continue to seek God’s leading over the next little while. The Team’s plan is to come to the February meeting of classis with a full recommendation of where the next church plant should be.
· Classis considered and approved a grant for $60,000, to assist London-Vitalpoint Church, with a campus (multisite) in the town of Exeter beginning on September 29th.
· Classis is seeking a nominee to the Council of Delegates of the CRCNA (replacing Beth Fellinger). Churches are encouraged to seek potential nominees and notify the Stated Clerk for consideration. Contact the Stated Clerk for further information.
· The 2020 Classis Chatham Ministry Share Budget was approved at $61.10 per confessing member, a decrease of 4.15%.
· Rev. Willemina Zwart shared a new, exciting ministry, South Coast Beach Project, planned in Port Dover. The Chair wished Rev. Zwart God’s richest blessings in this new ministry.
· We adjourned at 4:18 p.m. to meet again on Saturday, February 1, 2020 at 9:00 a.m., DV, at Grace CRC, Chatham.
-- Minutes are available through your church or Ron Middel, Stated Clerk