The next Classis Chatham Meeting ~ Saturday, February 6, 2021
Host: Dresden Christian Reformed Church
Please email the Stated Clerk for information regarding the Agenda or to obtain previous minutes
CLASSIS CHATHAM HIGHLIGHTS
Tuesday, September 22, 2020 hosted virtually (via Zoom)
• With all 27 of our 28 churches of classis gathered together via Zoom, Rev. Derek Bouma (Chair) of Strathroy-East and Rev. Peter Hoytema (Vice-Chair) of Strathroy-Westmount, led us through a very busy agenda.
Delegates and guests were encouraged by a number of presentations, Church Counselor, Church Visitor and a number of other reports and presentations throughout the day. For more detail please refer to the Minutes which are available through your church or Ron Middel, Stated Clerk. The following are a few highlights.
• We welcomed Rev. Mike Borgert, new pastor of Chatham-Grace; Synodical Deputies; as well as several other guests.
• Classis was blessed to participate in and witness the examination of Candidate Steve Vandyk, called by Essex CRC to become their pastor. Mr. Vandyk sustained his examination, with the concurrence of the Synodical Deputies, and is congratulated as he is admitted into the Ministry of the Word in the CRC. Essex is planning his ordination service for Sunday, October 4th.
• At the request of the Council of Woodstock-Maranatha, classis acquiesced with the request for separation between Maranatha and Rev. Daryl Meijer, in accordance with Article 17-a C.O. Rev. Meijer is now participating in a year of Clinical Pastoral Education.
• Classis was also blessed to participate in and witness the examinations for Mr. Doug Bonvanie (St. Thomas-The Junction) and Mr. Calvin Davies (London-Good News) for license to exhort. Both passed their examinations and are available for pulpit supply in our classis.
• Classis approved the retirement of Rev. George Lubbers of St. Thomas-The Junction effective January 1, 2021. We are grateful for Rev. Lubbers service to our classis and wish him God’s blessing as he retires.
• Classis received a report from the Church Plant Team summarizing the activities since February. As three members have recently resigned from that team, the Classical Ministries Committee is looking into a process to help us learn from this experience and can move forward with the goal of planting churches.
• Treasurer Harry Verburg reviewed the new Ministry Shares timeline. Churches are requested to provide their pledges to him by late December. Church treasurers may contact Harry if they require assistance.
• Following a presentation from Treasurer Harry Verburg, classis approved the 2021 Ministry Share Budget. The 2021 budget is $61.41 per member, an increase of $0.31 from 2020.
• Rev. Darren Roorda, Canadian Ministries Director explained the charitable status review and restructuring changes that came about to address the legal regulations in Canada.
• Tillsonburg CRC announced that they are in the process of changing their name to Crosspoint Community Church.
-- Minutes are available through your church or Ron Middel, Stated Clerk