The next Classis Chatham Meeting ~ Tuesday, September 24, 2019
Ambassador Christian Reformed Church
(3033 Rivard Ave, Windsor)
CLASSIS CHATHAM HIGHLIGHTS
Tuesday, May 28, 2019 hosted by Living Hope CRC, Sarnia
· Rev. Mark Verbruggen welcomed all and led in opening devotions based on Romans 3.
· At this meeting we focused and reflected on the core value of Authentic Community. Three churches, London-Talbot Street, Strathroy-Westmount and Woodstock-Covenant shared the joys and struggles on this value. Following each report another church, Woodstock-Maranatha, Ingersoll and London-Vitalpoint offered prayers for the church that just reported.
· All 28 churches of classis were present, 67 delegates were in attendance, including 7 first-time delegates. All first time delegates signed the Covenant for Office Bearers.
· Classis was declared constituted and Rev. Greg Fluit of St. Thomas-Fellowship and Rev. Dave Van Berkel of Sarnia-First were seated as Chair and Vice-Chair respectively. Mr. Ron Middel was seated as the Clerk.
· Delegates and guests were encouraged by a number of reports and presentations.
· Classis approved a recommendation from the Committee instituted to respond to an overture from London-Good News that the direction for Campus Ministry be rooted in a local church or cohort of local churches to define and lead Campus Ministry in partnership with Classis Chatham.
· Classis, with the concurrence of the Synodical Deputies approved new Job Descriptions for Commissioned Pastors Kelly Sibthorpe and Alida van Dijk.
· Classis considering a new Vision Statement “To catalyze and encourage a movement of CRC churches that proactively advance the great commission in Southwestern Ontario.” Feedback is welcomed and may be directed to the Stated Clerk.
· Classis heard a report from the Classis Church Leadership Structure Study Committee. Church Council’s are encouraged to review the report and CMC will also be considering next steps.
· Classis received an update of the activities of our Church Plant Team. The team continues to feel led to the Windsor-Leamington corridor and at their request, Classis approved to hire a summer student for the summer to do a demographic study of the area to assess best options in regards to location of a new church plant.
· Classis was educated of the circumstances and needs of those living in poverty through a Bridges Out of Poverty / Circles presentation.
· Classis approved the audited 2018 Financial Statements and also approved BDO Canada LLP, Woodstock as auditor for our current fiscal year.
· Classis approved a minor change for Classical Pulpit Supply when a pastor is assigned to attend Synod.
· As River City CRC, Cambridge has recently became an “organized’ church and plans to purchase a building, we celebrate with them and approved to financially support them in the amount of $20,000 from our First Facilities Fund.
· Classis approved several people to serve on committees:
o Jan Barneveld (Sarnia-First) on the Classical Finance Committee
o Leo Van Arragon (Strathroy-Westmount) on the Western Campus Ministry Board
o Rev. Norman Visser (Chatham-Calvary) on the Classical Ministries Committee in the Pastor-at-Large position, replacing Rev. Derek Bouma
o Jeff Robinson (Aylmer) on the Classical Ministries Committee as the Diaconal Committee representative.
· Classis approved financial assistance from our Student Fund for two seminary students from our classis.
· Classis was encouraged with a presentation from Dr. Robert Graham, President of Redeemer University College. We are thankful to hear that through the generosity of donors, Redeemer has developed a business plan to dramatically reduce tuition that will enable more students to achieve Christian higher education.
· Classis was pleased to grant emeritus status to Rev. William Hoogland (Wyoming) as he retires. Classis thanked Rev. Hoogland for his service and ministry and wishes him God’s blessings as he retires from fulltime ministry.
· Classis was blessed to hear Church Counselor, Church Visitor, and a number of other reports throughout the day. We adjourned at 3:18 p.m. to meet again on Tuesday, September 24, 2019 at 9:00 a.m., DV, at Ambassador CRC, Windsor.
-- Minutes are available through your church or Ron Middel, Stated Clerk