The next Classis Chatham Meeting ~ Tuesday, September 22, 2020
Living Hope CRC, Sarnia, Ontario
CLASSIS CHATHAM HIGHLIGHTS
Saturday, February 1, 2020 hosted by Grace Christian Reformed Church, Chatham
• With all 28 churches of classis gathered together, Rev. Mark Verbruggen (Chair) of Sarnia-Living Hope and Rev. Derek Bouma (Vice-Chair) of Strathroy-East, led us through a very busy agenda.
Delegates and guests were encouraged by a number of presentations, Church Counselor, Church Visitor and a number of other reports and presentations throughout the day. For more detail please refer to the Minutes which are available through your church or Ron Middel, Stated Clerk. The following are a few highlights.
• We welcomed Rev. Joe Hamilton, new pastor of Sarnia-Redeemer; Synodical Deputies; as well as several other guests.
• Following a nomination and election process throughout the day, the following were elected to Synod 2020:
Minster Delegate: Rev. Norman Visser (Chatham-Calvary)
Minster Alternate: Rev. Dave VanBerkel (Sarnia-First)
Elder Delegate: Diane Plug (Sarnia-First)
Elder Alternate: Jake Bentum (Woodstock-Maranatha)
Deacon Delegate: Benna Nicolai (Chatham-Grace)
Other Office Bearer Delegate: Rev. Mark Verbruggen (Sarnia-Living Hope)
Other Office Bearer Alternate: Rev. John Moelker (Woodstock-Covenant)
• Classis was blessed to participate in and witness the examination of Candidate Marcel Kuiper, called by St. Thomas Fellowship to become their Pastor of Spiritual Formation and Community Life. Mr. Kuiper sustained his examination, with the concurrence of the Synodical Deputies and is congratulated as he is admitted into the Ministry of the Word in the CRC.
• At the requests of Rev. Greg Fluit and the Council of St. Thomas-Fellowship, Classis approved a separation between the two in accordance with Article 17-a C.O., as Rev. Fluit discerns God’s future vocational direction and calling in his life.
• Classis elected Rev. Mark Verbruggen as our nominee for the Council of Delegates of the CRCNA, as well as approving several other members for local classical committees.
• Classis approved replacing the current classical position of Prayer Coordinator with a Prayer Ministries Team. We plan to develop a team of 8-10 people from our classis that will meet quarterly to engage and develop an ongoing prayer strategy for classis. Councils are asked to consider and recommend suitable members, who have a passion for prayer and the church. Please contact the Stated Clerk for more details or to volunteer.
• Classis received an update of the activities of our Church Plant Team and approved in principle a Downtown Windsor Church Plant. More details will be presented to classis in May for full approval.
-- Minutes are available through your church or Ron Middel, Stated Clerk